Fuel Bill Problems & Extra Help

Sometimes you might have a problem with your fuel bills or need to contact your fuel supplier about the service you are getting. At a certain point in your life, you might feel that you need some extra support with managing some aspect of your fuel supply or fuel bills. Here is some information about who to contact.

Fuel Bill Problems and Complaints

If you think your fuel bill is incorrect or don’t understand how it is calculated or are having a problem making the payment, then you should contact your supplier.  However, if you then want to make a complaint and it’s not been resolved, then here are some bodies that can assist you.

First Port of Call – Your Supplier

If a problem arises with your fuel bill or you find yourself in arrears with your electricity and/or gas payments for any reason,  it’s important that you contact your supplier straight away – if they don’t know you’re struggling, they can’t help you.

Advice Scotland Consumer Service – 0808 164 6000 (remove the text NB Charges apply)

If you can’t resolve a problem with your supplier, then Citizens Advice Consumer Service can provide independent and impartial help and advice. It can also refer you to other useful organisations.  You can phone their helpline (but see their website for charges) or complete an enquiry form online.

From 1 April 2019 the consumer service in Scotland is being provided by Advice Direct Scotland. There is a new phone number and website. Webchat is also available on the website.

Energy Ombudsman – 0330 440 1624

If you have failed to reach an agreement with your fuel supplier, and the Advice Scotland Consumer Service have been unable to help resolve the situation, then your next port of call could be the Energy Ombudsman.

Extra Help

At certain stages in our lives we might need some extra help, perhaps because of mobility or other physical factors.  Maybe we need support because of changes in our circumstances due to illness or feeling the cold more due to getting older.  Here are some services that you might be eligible for.

  • Priority Services Register
  • Warm Home Discount Scheme
  • Cold Weather Payments
  • See also: Trust Funds in Energy and Money & Debt Advice

Priority Services Register

All electricity and gas suppliers offer certain free priority services if you are registered disabled, chronically sick, have sight or hearing difficulties, or are over a certain age.

Free services that are available for those on the Priority Services Register include:

  • Help with reading your meters or moving your meters if you have difficulty reaching them.
  • A password scheme to protect against bogus callers.
  • A bill nominee if you would like your bills to be sent to a relative, friend or carer so they can help read and check your bill.
  • Priority in an emergency (this could include providing alternative heating and cooking facilities in the event of supply disconnection).

To register, contact your gas and/or electricity supplier and ask about their Priority Services Register.

Note: to help you when there is a power cut, you will also need to register for the Priority Services Register with your Distribution Network Operator:

For Scotland north of the central belt, your DNO is Scottish and Southern Electricity Networks, call: 0800 294 3259 from a landline or 0800 316 5457 from a textphone.

For central and southern Scotland, your DNO is SP Energy Networks, call: 0330 10 10 167 or text PSR to 61999 (they will normally contact you within 48 hours).

Warm Home Discount Scheme

During the winter, you could get £140 off your energy bill through the Warm Home Discount Scheme.

The money isn’t paid to you – it’s a one-off discount on your electricity or gas bill, usually between September and March.

Not everyone gets the discount – check if you qualify on the UK Government website.

Cold Weather Payments

You may get a Cold Weather Payment if you’re getting certain benefits.

You’ll get a payment of £25 if the average temperature in your area is recorded as, or forecast to be, zero degrees celsius or below for 7 consecutive days.