Money & Debt Advice

Don’t let money worries get you down and try to avoid debt mounting up. Instead, contact one of the organisations below to ask for their assistance. They might, for example, help you to work out a plan that gets you back on track.

National Debtline Scotland - 0808 808 4000

This helpline offers free, confidential and independent advice on ways to deal with your debt.  It has advisors you can talk to  and it also provides factsheets on dealing with your debts and your rights.

Money Advice Scotland - 0141 572 0237

Money Advice Scotland gives free and impartial money advice. It was set up by government and includes advice on debt, care costs, cutting costs – including energy, budgeting, work and employment, insurance, benefits and much more.

Are you getting all your benefit entitlements?

It’s important that you check what benefits you may be entitled to and that you claim them. Getting additional benefits or tax credits will help with your household budget but may also allow you to claim some of the grants and discounts that are available.

Here are some of the organisations that can help you to find out about this:

Trust Funds

Scottish/British Gas Energy Trust provides funding to individuals and families in need by giving grants to clear energy debts and to purchase energy efficient white goods.  You don’t need to be a Scottish/British Gas customer to apply. To apply, call 01733 421021 or see their website.

The EDF Energy Trust offers grants to individuals to cover the payment of gas and electricity debts and other essential household debts or costs.  For more information see their website or call 01733 421 060.

E.ON Energy Fund  helps customers of any energy company who are struggling to pay their bills. The fund can help eligible applicants pay current or final energy bills arrears, from a previous supplier. It can also help customers buy replacement white goods such as cookers, fridges, freezers and washing machines – and also help to replace and repair gas boilers. For more information, see their website or call 03303 80 10 90

ScottishPower Hardship Fund ScottishPower has a fund to help its customers who have difficulties paying their bills due, to low income, to help get their energy bill payments under control. For more information, call 0808 800 0128.

npower’s Macmillan Fund People having cancer treatment are often at home more and may need to turn their heating up, leading to higher energy bills, while income may be reduced. npower is working in partnership with Macmillan to help people living with cancer keep warm without the worry.  Contact npower’s Macmillan Fund on 0808 808 00 00, Monday to Friday, 9am-8pm.

Fuel Direct

Benefits payments can be used to help pay your bills, including fuel bills, if you’re having difficulties. This is called ‘third party deductions,’ and sometimes Fuel Direct.

Deductions are made each time your benefits are paid to help pay off the amount you owe.

Contact Jobcentre Plus (or your pension centre if you’re on Pension Credit).